Thursday, August 7, 2014

An apple a day

Yesterday was the first day of school for my little boy - he is starting the 2nd grade.
Both my girls graduated from the school he is at and both had the exact same 2nd grade teacher and I fought hard to make sure he got her too and guess what - he did.
 
When I knew that he would be in her class I decided I had to make her something super fun and functional. I had seen something like this in an email I subscribe too and couldn't find it again so I did it from memory...
 
 
supplies you'll need are:
a canning jar
some paint (acrylic or spray)
a spool of thread
some jute
some felt and hot glue
 
I used chalk paint for the jar and as you can see this first attempt didn't turn out to well
Plus I like the look of the smaller - chubbier jar...

 
then cut out your leaves from the felt you have

 
I painted the one on the left with brown spray paint to fit the first red jar but I actually used the larger lid this time I also used some E6000 to secure the 2 pieces first then sprayed them
 
 

 
I decided to use a vintage spool of thread first took off the remaining thread then hand painted the spool brown - just the middle part because I wanted you to be able to see the old print on the spool.
 
To make the whole thing functional I decided to add some peppermints inside so that they could serve 2 purposes - cover up morning breath and also they help with upset stomachs. My daughters told me that is the only type of candy that teachers can give to kids at school. So there you have it.
 
 
Call me a kiss up or brown noser...I just was thrilled to get this teacher and was excited to show her that...Besides makes my boy look good and that's what its all about right??
 
Hope your back to school prep is going smoothly.
 
I am linking this up to the parties above.
 
Happy Thursday
xo
tina
 
 
 


No comments: